There are various causes of chest pain. However, the most dreaded of them is the kind that leads to heart attack. Chest pain is not something to ignore. You never can tell which experience will lead to heart attack. Hence, it is important to safe guard against the worst scenario.
Below are some common causes of chest pain
- Heartburn: In medical term, heartburn is also known as acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). It is a burning sensation in throat or mouth that may be triggered by spicy foods, pregnancy, obesity or smoking. This condition is not related to heart attack, but it should be treated as soon as possible.
- Peptic Ulcer: Peptic Ulcer is the kind of pain that occurs with sores, open areas or small wounds in the lining of the stomach. Aggravated form of this disease is fatal. Medical attention is required if your symptoms are closely related.
- Coronary artery disease (CAD): Blockage of some blood vessels that provide oxygen and nutrients to the heart. This disease which is also known as angina is a symptom of impending heart attack.
- Myocardial Infarction: Shortage of oxygen supply to the heart that can lead to the death of heart muscles.
It is time to see your Doctor or call emergency number if you notice any or combination of these 5 symptoms of heart attack
- Sudden pain in the chest with shortness of breath
- Chest pain that spreads to the jaws, left arm and back.
- Chest pain that persists.
- Sudden onset of increased heart rate, rapid breathing and confusion
- Tightness, squeezing or pressure under the breast bone